- Octopus‐Inspired Soft Arm with Suction Cups for Enhanced Grasping Tasks in Confined Environments (2019) B Mazzolai, A Mondini, F Tramacere, G Riccomi, A Sadeghi, G Giordano, Emanuela Del Dottore, Massimiliano Scaccia, Massimo Zampato, Stefano Carminati, Advanced Intelligent Systems 1 (6), 1900041
- Octopus-like suction cups: from natural to artificial solutions (2015) F Tramacere, M Follador, NM Pugno, B Mazzolai, Bioinspiration & biomimetics 10 (3), 035004
- Structure and mechanical properties of Octopus vulgaris suckers (2014) F Tramacere, A Kovalev, T Kleinteich, SN Gorb, B Mazzolai, Journal of The Royal Society Interface 11 (91), 20130816
- Hairy suckers: the surface microstructure and its possible functional significance in the Octopus vulgaris sucker (2014) F Tramacere, E Appel, B Mazzolai, SN Gorb, Beilstein journal of nanotechnology 5 (1), 561-565
- The morphology and adhesion mechanism of Octopus vulgaris suckers (2013) F Tramacere, L Beccai, M Kuba, A Gozzi, A Bifone, B Mazzolai, PLoS One 8 (6), e65074
[SOFT ARM] - Title
SOFT ARM - A soft compliant arm for challenging and delicate applications
[SOFT ARM] - About
Soft Arm is a soft continuous robot that can work in unstructured environments.
The Soft Arm can mimic the high maneuverability of a real octopus arm, including the amazing compliance shown in manipulating unknown objects. The robot consists of a soft body endowed with suction cups. The suction cups are inspired by octopus suckers and ensure effective grasping and high attachment forces.
Soft Arm has been tested to work in challenging confined spaces to retrieve a wide range of different objects.
[SOFT ARM] - Components' Title
SOFT ARM - The key components
[SOFT ARM] - Components
Like an octopus arm, has a conical shape, and is entirely soft. It embeds a cable-driven actuation and a microfluidic network.
Like octopus suckers, consists of two portions, the acetabulum and infundibulum. The suction cup shows a high compliance with different surfaces (included rough ones) and can work in wet conditions.
[SOFT ARM] - Biological highlights
OUR CONTRIBUTION TO BIOLOGICAL ISSUES
The extensive investigation of our biological models has enabled us to discover new biological knowledge.
The particular structure of suckers that enable them to efficiently attach themselves to all non-porous surfaces.Learn more
A new proposal of attachment mechanism at the light of new morphological discoveries.Learn more
Hairy structures - An anatomical discovery with a crucial role in the attachment mechanism.Learn more
A complete biomechanical characterization of sucker tissues of the octopus.Learn more