Post Doc in Micro-Nano Fabrication - [ Postdoc ]Added on: 06/05/2020 - Expires on 30/06/2020
The Center for Micro-BioRobotics (CMBR), an IIT-Network Center based in Pontedera (Italy), is opening a Postdoctoral position in the area of “Micro-Nano Fabrication”.
The major objective of this research area is to develop new micro-nanostructured devices, mechanisms and micro-nanofabrication approaches based on new smart/functional materials and nanocomposites, for applications in the fields of smart/functional surfaces, 3D micro-devices and soft robotics. Targeted technologies and materials include two-photon lithography, advanced lithography techniques, photopolymerizable nanocomposite, stimuli responsive polymers and metamaterials.
CMBR possesses world-class facilities and expertise for developing a new generation of robots and devices made of polymer-based soft functional materials and inspired by living organisms, such as plants and animals. Our work focuses on system fabrication, design of functional materials and interfaces, actuation and sensing solutions. CMBR has fully equipped chemical, biological and microfabrication facilities, including clean rooms (class 1000 and class 10000), chemical laboratories, BSL2 biological laboratories, and equipment for material testing and characterization.
We are looking for a scientist with expertise in micro-nano engineering and/or materials science, and experience in advanced lithographic approaches and multi-photon techniques applied to micro-nanofabrication.
Based on targeted applications, research activities can leverage the excellent CMBR facilities, as well as collaborations. International applications are encouraged.
We are looking for a scientist with the following competences/skills:
- Solid background in engineering/material science, focused on micro-nano fabrication is strictly required.
- Experience in using clean room equipment is required. Targeted technologies/instrumentations include: spin coating; lithography; sputtering/evaporator deposition; stereo-lithography; ink jet printing of functional materials; oxygen plasma treatments; profilometry; Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM); Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM); Focused Ion Beam.
- Solid background in two photon lithography is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the physics of surfaces is desirable;
- Competences on CAD design are desirable;
- Experience on polymeric/inorganic nanoparticles and supramolecular structures synthesis (nanofabrication bottom-up approach) is desirable, even if not mandatory;
- Relevant hand-on experience in standard characterization techniques for nanomaterials and surfaces characterization (FT-IR, UV-vis, contact angle, Zeta-sizer) as well as other investigation techniques for surface characterization will be considered as a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, creativity, motivation and communication skills (oral and written) are highly required.
The prospective candidate has a Ph.D. in Engineering, Materials Science or related fields.
He/she is expected to: publish scholarly papers; attend international conferences; proactively perform research in a multidisciplinary working environment (encompassing e.g. engineers, chemists and biologists); be able to set-up, follow, monitor and oversee his/her personal research plans and directions; supervise PhD students.
Workplace: Pontedera (Italy), Tuscany.
The position is fully funded; term and salary will be commensurate with qualifications, seniority and experience. Initial appointments could be for 2 years with the possibility of a contract extension upon positive evaluation.
Applications, assembled as a single PDF file, shall include:
- a complete CV with a full list of publications, plus a final section titled “Relevant skills” commenting on the strong points where your CV matches the required skills (list above);
- a research statement (up to 3 pages) describing research goals and related plans over a 2-year span of time;
- copy of 3-5 five relevant papers, plus a final section titled “Personal contributions” detailing your specific contributions to each presented papers;
- name and contacts of 2 referees.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Micro-Nano Fabrication BC: 77713” in the e-mail subject.
Please apply by June 30, 2020.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with its headquarters in Genoa, Italy, is a non-profit institution with the primary goal of creating and disseminating scientific knowledge and strengthening Italy's technological competitiveness. IIT's research endeavour focuses on high-tech and innovation, representing the forefront of technology with possible application from medicine to industry, computer science, robotics, life sciences and nanobiotechnologies.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
Please note that the data that you provide will be used exclusively for the purpose of professional profiles’ evaluation and selection, and in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone +39 010 28961 - email: dpo[at]iit.it).