Postdoc in Bioinspired Soft Actuation - [ Postdoc ]Added on: 22/05/2020 - Expires on 30/06/2020
A Post Doc position is available at the Center for Micro-BioRobotics (located in Pontedera (Pisa), Italy) of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, within the Bioinspired Soft Robotics (BSR) Research Line (https://bsr.iit.it/).
We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher to investigate novel bioinspired soft actuation technologies within the EU H2020-funded project ‘PROBOSCIS - PROBOSCIdean Sensitive soft robot for versatile gripping’ (FET-Open grant agreement No. 863212, www.proboscis.eu). In particular, the ideal candidate’s research interests are:
- actuation for soft bioinspired robots;
- artificial muscles (including EAPs and smart polymers);
- biomimetic/bioinspired actuation;
- self-sensing (proprioceptive) actuation.
The successful candidate will join the Bioinspired Soft Robotics Research Line at IIT, which offers a uniquely collaborative scientific research environment and outstanding research facilities. Our dynamic, international, and multidisciplinary group aims at developing new robotic solutions and components by taking inspiration from nature, combining engineering and biology. Science-based research activities are combined with the development of application-driven robotic solutions. Highly competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidate.
- PhD in robotics, engineering, material science, or related field, with focus on actuation;
- strong research experience in:
- development and characterization of soft robotic actuators and/or
- development and characterization of artificial muscles/smart materials;
- proficiency in English language (written and oral).
Other desirable skills are:
- background (M.Sc./B.Sc.) in material science;
- experience in characterization of soft materials (elastomers, hydrogels, biomaterials);
- experience in fabrication of soft materials parts and components (including additive manufacturing);
- experience in soft sensors and/or soft conductive materials.
Please send your application as a single PDF file, including:
- a one-page motivation letter;
- a complete CV with a full list of publications, plus a section titled “Relevant skills”;
- copy of up to 5 relevant papers, plus a section titled “Personal contributions” detailing your specific contributions to each presented paper;
- name and contacts of 2 referees;
and Dr. Barbara Mazzolai (email@example.com)
quoting “Postdoc in Bioinspired Soft Actuation 78466” in the subject line.
Please apply by 30/06/2020.
Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT) with its headquarters in Genoa, Italy, is a non-profit institution with the primary goal of creating and disseminating scientific knowledge and strengthening Italy's technological competitiveness (www.iit.it). IIT promotes excellence in basic and applied research through a multidisciplinary scientific program that includes humanoid technologies and robotics, neuroscience and cognition, nanotechnology and materials.
We inform you that the data you provide will be processed for the sole purpose of evaluating professional profiles and selecting them according to the needs of the Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by the Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genova, Via Morego, 30, as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
We also inform you that, pursuant to article 15 and following articles of EU Regulation 2016/679 ("General Data Protection Regulation"), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (telephone 010 28961 - email: dpo[at]iit.it).